Your Immune System and Colostrum
Can colostrum improve your immune system? In my 35 plus years of practice, I have seen immune systems and overall general health improved through Colostrum Therapy. The health of your immune system is the controller of your total well being and good health. Because of my personal experience and hundreds of research studies done on colostrum, I can confidently use colostrum to improve your immune system resulting in overall better health. Let me share some important components of colostrum and discuss how it can improve your immune system.
Colostrum is vital in the early lives of all mammals, particularly their immune system. What is colostrum? It is the “first milk” that a mammal produces just prior to and after the birth of her baby. This protein-packed fluid contains antibodies and lymphocytes along with immunoglobulins. From these properties, antibodies are formed to protect the newborn from disease until its own immune system is working. They aid in the establishment of the newborn’s immune system. Some factors of Colostrum:
- Its proteins also include hormones, enzymes, complex sugars, and growth factors which speeds up growth or healing of tissues.
- The proline-rich polypeptides normalize or balance an overactive or under-active immune system.
- Also, it contains a peroxidase enzyme, which destroys disease-carrying microbes.
- Furthermore, the lactoferrin it contains is able to neutralize certain types of bacteria.
Also, you may have heard a nursing mother express confidence that her newborn is immune to little colds and touches of flu. She understands that through her “first milk” or colostrum her immunity is transferring to the child. Therefore, it is helping the child build its own immune system. Therefore, the mother has confidence that the baby is protected. Also, the nucleotide contained in colostrum provides the raw material for building (or repair) of the nucleic material. In other words the DNA and RNA, in cells. The baby’s cells are still being developed and need good building material for them to be as healthy as possible. Colostrum provides that needed nutrition.
In summary, colostrum provides many powerful health-building as well as protective factors to the newborn. So what does that mean to an adult or older child? In what ways can colostrum help improve an older child’s or adult’s health? Let us look at some of the individual components of colostrum.
First, let us consider immunoglobulins (or antibodies). The immunoglobulins in colostrum are special adaptive sites. That means they are sticky surfaces that work like Velcro. Bacteria or pathogens stick to them. Therefore are effective in trapping and neutralizing bacteria. Most infectious diseases enter our bodies through the mouth or nose. They then lodge in mucus surfaces including the bronchial walls, stomach, and intestinal tract. Therefore, we must be able to protect ourselves in those areas. Fortunately, colostrum helps us do this. Colostrum antibodies remain in the mucus containing areas to fight and block intruders. This is particularly true in the digestive tract where they fight the intruders. They form a protective barrier preventing the bacteria, viruses, and yeast from colonizing. This also prevents these pathogens from penetrating or entering our bloodstream. The intruders are neutralized, rendering them harmless.
The bacteria left stranded by the colostrum, die or remain ineffective and are eliminated without harming the body. What does that mean to the user of colostrum? Because of increased immunity, it means fewer illnesses. You are not as prone to get a cold or the flu or other infections.
The proline-rich polypeptides (PRP’s) further regulate the immune system. They work like a thermostat. The immune system needs to turn down in some cases. This is true with autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer’s, and allergies. Colostrum suppresses the immune system affected by these diseases. In these diseases, the immune system is attempting to attack your body. It is overactive. Therefore, the symptoms of these diseases reduce by down-regulating your immune system.
On the other hand, an under-active immune system is stimulated by the same proline-rich polypeptides. The thymus is our front line of defense against disease. These same polypeptides rev up the thymus increasing its protective abilities. With the increased function of the thymus again we are less prone to catch every bug that is going around. (see further comments on the value of T-cells produced by the Thymus)
Lactoferrin inhibits the growth of viruses. Multiple studies show the effects of colostrum on viruses. Colostrum appears to inhibit the growth of HIV 1 and 2 type viruses by preventing the absorption of the virus. If the virus can not be absorbed it is expelled. Viruses must penetrate the mucus membrane somewhere in the body. If they can not penetrate they die. In the case of COVID 19 on this date, we believe that it must penetrate the nasal passages, throat, or lungs. However, if there is, in effect, a barrier formed to prevent the absorption of the virus in these areas then the virus cannot attach itself. Therefore, it can not invade the body. Colostrum forms that impenetrable wall rendering the virus ineffective.
Lymphocytes are white blood cells that are crucial to our immune system. They include T-cells and B-cells. T-cells can be Helper T-cells, Killer T-cells, or Suppressor T-cells.
- Killer T-cells search out antigens, attach to the defenders, and destroy them.
- Helper T-cell identifies the enemies and rushes to the spleen and lymph nodes to stimulate the production of other cells to fight the infection. They are the activators of the Killer T-Cell.
- Also, the B-Cells, which reside in the spleen and lymph nodes, identify and bind with specific intruders. Helper T-cells activate the B-cells. They are responsible for the production of antibodies.
- The Suppressor T-Cells regulate the activity of the B-Cells and Killer T-cells, slowing them down once the infection or enemy has been conquered.
The T-cells reside in the Thymus. So once again we see how colostrum assists the activity of our front line defense against the invaders of our body. Furthermore, Killer T-cells are one of our main defenses against cancer. They search our any foreign or abnormal cell and set out to destroy them. A good strong supply of Killer T-cells is vital in preventing cancer and fighting cancer.
What do all of these immune-building properties of colostrum do for us? Would Colostrum Therapy be beneficial to you? All of us can use extra protection against viruses and all forms of contagions. Colostrum is a natural antibiotic without the side effects of destroying the immune system by irritating the gastrointestinal tract. It is an immune system booster. With a great immune system, your likelihood of contracting many diseases is greatly reduced. This includes cancer as well as the common cold and the flu or viruses. Do you suffer from gastrointestinal challenges? Eighty percent of your immune system lies in the gastrointestinal tract. Therefore, while improving your immunity, you are reducing your gastrointestinal challenges by promoting its healing.
Do you suffer from one of the many autoimmune diseases? There are many to consider but we will look only a few. Could Colostrum Therapy could be beneficial to you:
- Colostrum includes immune-regulatory factors. If the immune system is low colostrum will boost it. If it is overstimulated it will calm it. Note the definition above of PRP. These PRP’s prevent the immune system from attacking itself. They strengthen the weak immune system so that it is capable of warding off attacks. However, if your condition is long-running or in its advanced stages, your therapy will be more intense with larger doses and your results will be gradual. You will improve the longer you stay with the protocol. If you suffer from any form of autoimmune disease colostrum may improve your condition.
- Colostrum reduces inflammation and bone loss. In Rheumatoid Arthritis and Lupus or any other autoimmune disorder resulting in inflammation and deterioration, the benefits become two-fold. There are several properties of colostrum that reduce inflammation. When joints are inflamed and/or bone loss is experienced as part of the autoimmune disease, colostrum aids in the reduction of the inflammation. Also, it helps rebuild the affected bone. Furthermore, this results in reduced pain in the joints. In the inflammatory bowel diseases, discomfort is reduced as the inflammation is reduced. This is also true in the case of asthma as the inflammation of the bronchitis is reduced with colostrum.
- Colostrum promotes healing. Once we have reduced inflammation it is important that there be complete healing of the affected area. This is particularly true in the case of bone loss and the gastrointestinal tract. Because 80% of our immune system lies in the gut, healing in this area can change a person’s life dramatically. By reducing the symptoms of the gastrointestinal disease through healing, the total immune system is enhanced. That means fewer bouts of colds, flu, and other contagious illnesses. Increased bone density improves stability, mobility, and reduces the chance of fractures.
In MS the protective sheath that surrounds the nerves is attacked and deteriorates. The proteins in Colostrum help heal and rebuild that protective sheath. As the healing takes place and inflammation reduces, the symptoms of the disease reduce. A beneficial side effect is an increase in energy and feeling of well being.
The list of the benefits of Colostrum is long. There are over thousands of case studies showing the benefits of Colostrum. It is one of the oldest and most studied remedies. Colostrum has proven very successful in Immuno-therapy. Like any natural remedies, the dosage that is effective on your particular challenge may be different than the dosage for someone else with like symptoms. As a preventative, low, daily dosages work well. If you have a long-lasting or chronic ailment it may take longer for you to see results.
Is Colostrum Therapy right for you? Colostrum Therapy as a preventative supplement is right for everyone. It will reduce your number of cold and flu, increase your energy, and improve your sense of well being. It is a mood enhancer. Colostrum Therapy as Immuno-therapy is recommended for anyone with an autoimmune disease. Gastrointestinal diseases are highly responsive to Colostrum Therapy as it reduces the inflammation and heals the gut wall.
So how do you get started? There are some products we recommend. There is a link below that will take you to a shopping link. If you want to schedule a personal session with Dr. Emmett please send us a message through our Contact Us Form to schedule a session.
We recommend Prosovlabs – see link below and go to “SHOP”:
- Immune Concentrate spray – PRO Colostrum IC – (Under Colostrum LD)
- Repair Stomach and GI Tissue – PRO Colostrum -LD – Powder in plain or vanilla (Under Colostrum LD)
- Probiotic – PRO Daily G.I. Complete (under G.I. Support)
- Immune Super Charger – PRO Vital C-LD (under Nutrition)
- Anti-inflammatory – PRO Curcumin -LD (under Nutrition)